Saturday, May 29, 2010

May's Harvest

While I've been busy, the garden has been quietly plodding along. I even have a harvest to show! My peppers are still going, surprisingly. The fruits have been ripe and awaiting to be picked these last few weeks hence the "size-able" collection from my small garden. Also, in amongst my beans, beets and carrots, my spinach and pak choi has enjoyed the cooler weather. The pak choi in particular has grown so well, I would highly recommend it! It takes up little space and has been enthusiastically sprouting leaves which (so far ;) ) are healthy and lush.



As for using up my harvest, I thought I'd put those baking skills to the test! I should reveal, one of the reasons I have neglected my blog (sorry guys) is because I started studying part-time this year (amongst work, another (online) course, an ill bird, my gardening and well, life..). I'm doing a baking/pastry chef course, something I've wanted to do for years. We're currently studying the pastry module and so, in go the greens for my first (home) attempt at quiche.



As for the peppers, they're still sitting on the kitchen bench =P I'm thinking at trying my hand at drying them as we are soooo chilli'd out! That's a technical term there. That one plant is overloading me with more fresh chillis than I can use. So much so, I have been banned from cooking with them until further notice.

6 comments:

  1. How fun that you're doing that cooking course. Your quiche looks spectacular. Wish I could take a bite of that flaky crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy =) It is hard work but sooo much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can keep the chillies in the freezer. Use them as and when you need. As such they won't go to waste. That's how I have constant supply of chillies as they keep well in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful pictures. I got confused with your harvest until I noted the location of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dot,

    I don't know where else to contact you so I'll just put a comment. Please feel free to delete this message after reading. :)

    I hope you're having an awesome week! I thought you might like this infographic I helped build about the health, mental, and financial benefits of gardening (http://blog.lochnesswatergardens.com/how-gardening-benefit/).

    If you think your readers would like it too, please feel free to use it on A Faerie's Garden blog. There's code at the bottom of our post that makes it super easy to post on your blog. It's all free (of course). If you have any questions about posting it, let me know and I'll try to help.

    Thanks!

    ~ Janey
    janealvarado83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I hope you enjoy your dream. We dreamt of a peceful life in our own little house, and we got it. It wasn't always easy though and we very nearly let it go. I'm glad we didn't. Enjoy your lovely new space.


    Garden center San Antonio

    ReplyDelete